Lewisham Toy Library Terms and Conditions
Everyone hiring or borrowing items from our Toy Library is bound by our Terms and Conditions as follows:
Joining the Toy Library
1. Anyone living in Lewisham or nearby may join the Toy Library for a fee and borrow items free of charge. An ‘item’ is any kind of toy, party or play equipment in our collection (mobility equipment is not included).
2. We are a charity with limited resources, do not rely on a regular grant from the council and depend on your fees to enable us to run the service. The fees (which are kept as reasonable as possible) are published on our website.
3. You may join in person (at the Toy Library) or online. When you join you will need to provide two personal identification (ID) documents. One should be photographic such as a driving licence or passport and a second ID should show your current address such as a council tax or utilities bill. If you join online you must show us this ID when you first use our services.
4. You will also provide us with certain details about your children, so that we can analyse our members’ needs and provide information about our service to funders.
5. You can assist us by providing other information that assists us in our operations.
6. You may borrow 5 items for up to 4 weeks. Only one item of the 5 may be a large item (identified by the prefix ‘L’ in the item identification code).
7. The representative of a member organisation may borrow 12 items for up to 4 weeks. 6 of the items may be large items.
8. You must notify the Library of any change of name, address or other contact details as soon as possible.
9. You will be responsible for any items taken out on your account until you report the loss.
10. If for any reason you want to stop using the Library to borrow items, let us know; you remain responsible for any outstanding items taken out until you have requested cancellation of your membership.
Returns and Renewals
11. You must renew or return items to the Toy Library by closing time on the date due back (or the earliest prior opening date if that date is a public holiday). If you keep items beyond that date, you will be charged a fee at current rates (including for days on which the shop is not open).
12. Unless it has been reserved by another borrower, an item may be renewed by telephone or email for 2 further periods of 4 weeks without being produced at the library. If you still require the item after that, you must bring it to the library to be re-issued.
13. We will not accept a returned item with missing parts. We ask that you check toys before you return them. We will grant you an extra two weeks beyond your original 4 weeks to bring back a complete item. After that we will charge a fine at the discretion of the Toy Librarian. This is to help with the smooth circulation of toys.
Responsibility for Loss or Damage
14. You are responsible for any loss or damage to items that you have borrowed, and may have to pay the replacement cost of the item or for repair of the item. We understand that children’s toys do occasionally get damaged, and we do not make a charge for minor (cosmetic) damage or ordinary wear and tear. Please report any loss or damage straight away.
Termination of Membership
15. If you:
- Have any outstanding charges , or
- Have items that are overdue, or
- Have not paid for or replaced a lost or damaged item,
you may not be allowed to borrow further items. The circumstances may also be reported to the Manager who has the authority to cancel the membership of any person habitually keeping items overdue, treating them badly or refusing to pay outstanding charges.
16. When on Lewisham Toy Library premises you agree to:
- observe our Equalities Policy (on our website) by not speaking or behaving in a discriminatory or anti-social way towards others;
- adequately supervise any children you bring to the Toy Library and ensure that no property is damaged;
- treat all people in the Library, especially children, with care and respect.
You also agree that if you do not, in our absolute discretion, we may cancel your membership or any related privilege without further notice.
17. When using items borrowed from us you agree to ensure:
- that only children of an appropriate age play with them;
- the health and safety of any child playing with them.
18. You accept that we cannot be held responsible for anything other than our own negligence and only in relation to personal injury.
19. You agree to inform us if you have any reason to believe that any of our items are or may soon become unsafe in any way.
20. The information provided on this or any forms or in relation to your membership will be processed in accordance with data protection principles as set out in the GDPR 2018 (see our Privacy and Data Protection Policy on our website).
21. In summary, data will be processed only to ensure that Lewisham Toy Library has relevant records of its membership and the items borrowed. The personal information provided will not be used for any other purpose unless legally required. Aggregated statistical data which cannot be traced back to you may be used for analysis and reporting.